Physiotherapy is appropriate for you, if you have pain, limited movement, weakness, balance deficit or difficulty accomplishing activities. We can help you reduce, abolish or manage pain or discomfort, restore flexibility and strength, improve balance and coordination, improve endurance and return to doing the activities you need to do.
No referral is needed for physiotherapy treatment. Referral is required for submission to some extended health benefit companies and for OHIP eligibility.
On your first visit, you will participate in a thorough assessment with a registered physiotherapist. This assessment will reveal physical impairments and treatment goals. Together with your physiotherapist, a treatment plan will be developed to meet your needs.
It is beneficial to bring an updated list of medication, health card, referral (if needed) and extended health benefit card (if needed) to your first visit. If using extended health benefit it is also very helpful to know your coverage for physiotherapy and/or massage therapy.
Please bring appropriate clothing to all appointments so that your therapist will be able to access the affected area. For lower extremity treatment please bring shorts or loose fitting pants. For upper body treatment a tank top or loose fitting t-shirt is appropriate. Dresses and skirts should be avoided as they are not ideal when using certain types of therapy equipment. In inclement weather please bring indoor shoes and leave wet or dirty footwear in the reception area. Running or walking shoes are the recommended footwear. High-heeled shoes, dress shoes and flip flops can limit treatment options.
The length of treatment sessions varies based on the individual treatment plan.
We strive to make your treatment at Renew as comfortable and pleasant as possible. If pain management is among your goals, your plan will likely include modalities such as Laser, Acupuncture, Ultrasound, IFC or TENS.
After physiotherapy treatment it is important to the success of your goals to complete assigned exercises and follow recommendations from your physiotherapist.
Renew Physiotherapy treatment can be covered by extended health benefit plans such as Green Shield, Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB), Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance and Private Pay.
Physiotherapy treatment at Renew Physiotherapy is covered by the Community Physiotherapy Clinic Program for eligible clients. This is different from OHIP coverage however it does require a valid OHIP card and a doctor referral. To be eligible for Physiotherapy Services a person must:
- Be insured under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan.
- Referred by a physician or nurse practitioner.
- Aged 65 yrs and older.
- Aged 19 and younger.
- Recently discharged as an inpatient of a hospital and a physician on the medical staff of the hospital determines that the insured person needs physiotherapy services that are directly connected to the condition, illness or injury for which the insured person was admitted to the hospital.
- Be eligible for funding of services under the Ontario Disability Support (ODSP) or Ontario Works (OW) programs.
- The person must not be concurrently receiving physiotherapy services for the same condition or diagnosis provided or funded by other Ministry of Health and Long Term care or health system programs or through automotive insurance or the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
Please note there is frequently a waiting list for Community Physiotherapy Clinic Program funded physiotherapy services due to limited funding. Please book appointments as soon as possible when planning post-operative service.